Vision & Master Plan
The Edmonton Ski Club Vision: An all-season, multipurpose outdoor recreational complex in the heart of the downtown river valley.
The combination of increased valley accessibility, high density residential development in the city’s core, and exploding demand for year-round recreational amenities has created an extraordinary opportunity for the redevelopment of the Edmonton Ski Club as an all-season, multipurpose hub for downtown cultural, recreational, and fitness activities.
View the Global TV Coverage of our vision:
Imagine the winter recreation possibilities:
A winter’s day in the life of a rejuvenated and expanded Edmonton Ski Club, easily accessible via Edmonton transit, by car or by foot includes:
- New two-storey Lodge, an architectural gem complementing the iconic beauty of the Conservatory, featuring several outdoor plaza’s, cafe, rental and retail shop, lockers, change rooms and exercise facilities.
- Celebration Park and its installations highlighting the rich history of the Club.
- Recontoured slopes offering higher elevation, steeper pitches and longer runs.
- Mogul hill and terrain park
- Carpet lift, two surface lists and one chair lift.
- Alpine climbing wall built to resemble and commemorate the original ski jump.
- Kilometres of groomed classic and skate ski trails winding through the Club property and beyond, linking to trails leading up the Mill Creek Ravine or along the banks of the North Saskatchewan.
- Skating pond and ice trail leading to the Cloverdale Community League playground and outdoor hockey rink.
- Learn to ski and snowboard programs for tots, kids, teens and adults of all abilities.
- Tube park and toboggan hills
Click the image to expand
Imagine the summer, spring & fall recreation possibilities:
Cultural and recreational activities will abound in the summer months! Fitness options for morning commuters and visitors delivered by the LRT include jogging, biking, roller blading and roller skate skiing, alpine climbing, and perhaps a hike along the river. The Club’s change rooms and showers, lockers and bike rental and storage facilities make it convenient for members and visitors to drop in and work out anytime. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served on the sun-baked Lodge plaza or Muttart patio.
The newly revamped Edmonton Ski Club will include:
- All terrain skills park for mountain bikers
- Zipline, challenge course an aerial park
- Launching pad for hang gliders and hot air balloons
- Improved grounds with amphitheater for the Edmonton Folk Music Festival and other events
- New lodge that offers a full restaurant cafe, exercise equipment, change rooms, showers, lockers, equipment rental and retail store.
Click image to enlarge
In this imagining, the Edmonton Ski Club is ideally situated to play a central role in the future cultural and recreational development of the downtown river valley. As the core population grows, the demand for year-round multi-purpose outdoor activities expands, and the LRT infrastructure is put in place, the Club’s natural and historical assets will be key to achieving the full potential of our beautiful and beloved valley.
Learn what the media has to say about our plans!
Edmonton Journal: “Ski club envisions future as hub of river valley activity”